January 18, 2015

#ProjectSpongebob

Happy New Year!

This will be my first blogpost for 2015. I have been caught up by Mommyhood and personal events and everything in between. 2014 has been a very overwhelming year for me especially with the coming of Z. I thought, because I'm at rest because of the the needed recovery, I could blog more...Oh well, I spoke too soon. Being a school-boy-Mom at the same time a New mom again and a Triathlete's wife is like working in a circus juggling E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

To start off, let me share with you my 1st DIY project.




T'was Z's 1st birthday last January 10 and we celebrated it with just a simple party at Mc Donalds Party Place with family and friends. Waived from doing personalized tarps and cupcakes due to financial constraints and lack of time. Yet, I didn't allow myself not to leave a 'mark' in my child's special day. I love DIYing atleast a thing or two for this party knowing that we somehow been frugal about it. So I thought of doing a Pinata. Searched the Youtube and Pinterest Spongebob Pinata. What appeared on the searches were boxed-type images, covered with yellow tissue papers and drawn faces of Spongebob.

An idea popped to my head...

Presenting... Spongebob Pinata made from Recycled Shopping Paper Bag.

Materials

Big Shopping paper bag
Yellow Crepe paper
Brown Construction/ Colored paper
White paper and pens for Spongebob face
Black marker
Scissors
Glue



Gather all the materials needed. Especially if you're working with a tot around.

If you cant draw, you can always print. Dont be so hard on yourself...hehehe


You can leave it as is when you finish glueing the fringes, but you want it to me more "realistic" and 3 dimentional, you can add some arms and legs. If you have a spare brown paper, cut them to 2 equal strips and glue the ends together to create a small cylinder and paste it under the bag to create that short pants look. Get a whole strip of crepe paper and fold it lengthwise to make the skinny legs.


http://craftbits.com/project/felt-baby-shoe-pattern-matryoshka-doll/
I Googled a shoe pattern for his shoes and altered a bit to become more appropriate for the project. I traced Z's hand for Spongebob's hands. I also cut a piece of white paper into a cone for its sleeves.


At the party place there was no place to hang my Pinata. Good thing I brought my 3m Command Hook and put on their ceiling.

Happiness is when something simple made a special event more special.

I hope when baby Z sees and understands these photos of his 1st birthday party, he feels special as well. After the event, the Pinata is at your kids and guests disposal with you not worrying too much about how much you spent with it because its repurposed and recycled already. *wink*

4 comments:

  1. So cute. Gusto ko din gumawa ng pinata nung birthday ni baby pero hindi kinaya ng powers ko. Try ko ulit next time. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you momi Paulline. Si Spongebob na yata ang pinakamadaling pwedeng gawing Pinata...I did other Pinata projects before and it took me weeks bago natapos, this one you can finish in a day or 4 hours, the fastest, if baby cooperates.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks momi Que! I'll be throwing back some previous diy projects soon... ;)

      Delete